A Collection of the Most Poisonous Substances Known To Man

The structure of nature is mysterious, but cleverly engineered at the same time. All compounds share a relationship with one another that facilitates the creation of a perfect ecosystem. People learned how to utilize these compounds for their daily living, but within these things are substances that were found to be lethal.

Man first learned about these poisonous substances from accidents, but now, toxicologists have reached the level where they can detect and study these substances without exposing themselves to risks. Here is a list of the most poisonous substances known to man.


One of History’s most famous poisons, Arsenic.

Arsenic occurs naturally inside the earth’s crust, and it’s released through volcanoes. Now, it’s being produced in different countries, and is used to create rat poisons, insecticides, paints, soap, candles, and toys.

Arsenic was also known to be a murder weapon because it can kill a person when used in large doses, and it’s hard to detect. It can also contaminate drinking water, especially in remote areas. Long-term exposure to arsenic will weaken the cardiovascular and nervous systems. It can also cause cancer of the skin, lungs, and kidney. If not treated, arsenic poisoning will result in coma and death.

To avoid arsenic poisoning:

  • Check your source of water; make sure that it’s clean, or use a filtering tool to decrease arsenic content.
  • Label your rat poisons and keep them in a safe place.
  • Don’t let your children chew on their toys.

Botulinum Toxin

Beauty in a bottle. Botox A.K.A Botulinum Toxin Type A.

Botulinum Toxin or BTX is produced by a bacterium called Clostridium Botulinum. Even with the word toxin in its name, it’s still used in the medical field to treat disorders such as uncontrolled blinking and crossed eyes. It’s also known for reducing wrinkles on the forehead.

Administering BTX in a clinical setting is still dangerous because it can be injected in an unintended muscle group which can cause paralysis, and muscle weakness. It becomes detrimental when it reaches critical muscle parts because it can lead to seizures, heart attack, arrhythmia, and death.

To avoid BTX poisoning:

  • If it’s only for cosmetic use, avoid BTX shots.
  • If you really need BTX shots, search the history of the hospital and the doctor who’s going to administer the injection.



Mercury is a liquid that’s obtained by condensing the vapor from a heated cinnabar ore. It’s widely used in thermometers, barometers, and fluorescent lamps.

Mercury has liquid properties, and it can accidentally be consumed orally. Humans are also exposed to mercury via inhalation of mercury vapors, and eating fishes like shark and swordfish. Once inside the body, it can easily hop through the bloodstream and travel to the brain. High exposures to mercury may result in damaged kidneys, respiratory failure, coma, and death.

To avoid mercury poisoning:

  • Avoid eating fishes from the ocean. These fishes have more mercury content than fishes from lakes and rivers.
  • Store thermometers and other materials with mercury in a safe place where they will not break and spill the mercury content.


It’s best to be aware of the most poisonous substances known to man so that you can avoid them. If you believe that you were exposed to these substances, it’s better to rush to the nearest hospital. Don’t try to self-medicate because it might assist the circulation of poison inside the body.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *